Friday, January 17, 2014

A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

If you don't already know, yes I received my first university offer from University of Exeter just yesterday. No, I have not accepted it nor will I be doing so until I've received a reply from the other universities and tried for local Us. I feel a need to do this q&a post because honestly, the last thing I need right now is explaining to yet another "why not local U?!" talk.

P.s. This entire situation occured at 2.48am (of all times) when I was comfortably tucked in bed under my quilt and the process after of trying to fall back asleep while containing that much of excitement in me was a torment. I had indian cuisine with Nic the next day to celebrate our first university offer!

But anyway, back to topic.

Q: Why not local U?
A: My grades. They're not bad, but they're not good enough. I barely even meet the minimum cut. Moreover, I'm not too keen with continuing with business because that's the only thing I can/want to do in a local U.

Q: How about SIM/ Kaplan/ other private institutes?
A: If I'm going to pay for the same amount locally, then why not abroad? Yes, the accommodation costs and living expenses make a vast difference but taking the leap and experiencing a broader perspective of life feels so much more meaningful to me.

Q: Isn't it going to cost you a bomb? Are you sure you're okay with living alone in the UK?
A: I know, I know; It's gonna cost me a dozen trips to Japan, a Cadillac and 10,000 Krispy Kreme donuts. No, do not do the math because I did not. But really, I look at it as an education investment. Don't get me wrong though, I'll definitely owe it all to my momma and pops. And I know, I know; You also probably think I'd be outcasted from racism, drugged in a club or shot in the head with a bullet there, but really? Really? I can't emphasise more on the concept of the mean world syndrome. There are dangers everywhere, you just gotta know how to avoid it. 

Q: Your parents allow ah?
A: Contrary to popular belief, my mom was the one who pushed me to give it a shot. I just want to take this chance to say what a supportive mom she's been since forever. She knew I loved art as a kid, so she asked if I wanted to be sent to an art school when I was p6. I was afraid, so I said no. She knew I grew to be able to do art, so she asked if I wanted to try out an art degree in poly. I was afraid, so I said no. Now, she knows I've finally found something I love (that's still sooooooomewhat related to art to me) and she knows I yearn to pursue it abroad. But she didn't ask me anything this time. She said, "go".

So there, a slice of my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment