Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Betweenness // Closeness

Is it okay that I am comfortable with virtual betweenness, but not closeness in reality? Like how I feel like we're match-made in heaven to be best friends over random virtual conversations on twitter or whatsapp, but facing nothing but uneasiness and awkward not-more-than-two-seconds eye contact when it comes to a face-to-face encounter. 

This distance is something I'm so used to; This distance of us knowing each other by a mere square-tiled, over-filtered display picture, of us picturing each other's facial expression through the massive usage of emojis, of us reciting each other's voices using our imagination of how shrill or raucous we sound while we read through the replies, and of us expressing more care and concern for each other because the computer screen hides our bashfulness.

Help. Is the digital world eroding my level of sociability or am I entering a mid-life crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment