Friday, July 13, 2012

How I met Moley

One more minute to midnight.

It was the first few weeks of school in TK. That assembly period -- that very particular, special assembly period -- was the one that sparked our friendship, albeit the unusual first interaction of me hitting your head with a paper bat. It's Joelle and my mischievous, young self that we should thank, else I wouldn't have joined her in disturbing you and I wouldn't have learnt of your existence.

In the midst of attempting to accustom to a new and foreign environment, taking a step out of my comfort zone was equivalent to asking me to jump into the sea from a plank, but somehow, taking a step out towards you didn't feel as threatening as it was supposed to be. You were funny, I was easily amused, we instantly clicked.

There was something that kept me close to you, despite us not being assigned to the same class before for the whole fours years of secondary school life, and that's your ability to so effortlessly cheer just about anyone up with the simplest actions you do and the simplest words you say.

We used to be wild and shameless, locking our arms and merry circling around the band room, not giving a hoot that I was a girl and you were a boy and people were bound to judge. You were like my gay best friend, except you were not gay... or were you? Hahah, I fucking miss you and I miss celebrating our birthdays together.


"I can't even remember the comic, but I do remember the 'out of order' underwear, the sashimi box, the guitar and the heart of 5 cent coins I got for Chinese New Year. I really want you to know that even though we rarely meet, I do treasure our friendship and it is one of my top priorities."

Saying I'm one of your top priorities really warms my heart, even though I know they're just words of pacification.


Happy birthday, Sha. It's Friday the 13th, but you're my lucky star.

No comments:

Post a Comment